WSU Extension Q&A: Q. Are pole beans or bush beans the most efficient use of garden space?

WSU ExtensionMay 16, 2014 


Resident farmer Michelle Lutz checks the progress of the pole bean plants in the Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital greenhouse in West Bloomfield, Michigan on September 4, 2012. (Patricia Beck/Detroit Free Press/MCT)


Q. Are pole beans or bush beans the most efficient use of garden space?

A. Bush beans can be planted closer to one another than pole beans and will produce more beans at one time than a similar planting of pole beans. Pole beans tend to be more indeterminate, meaning they will produce beans for a longer period of time, providing a more continuous supply. Also, with limited space, pole beans may provide too much shade for adjacent plants.

Q. After a herbicide application, how do I know when livestock can graze in my pasture?

A. The label is the law; before you purchase a herbicide, check the label. In many cases, crops and grazing species have different grazing intervals even with the same herbicide. Some examples of typical wait times are:

-- 2,4-D labels: Do not graze meat animals within three days of slaughter, do not graze dairy animals within seven days after application and do not cut hay within 30 days after application.

-- Dicamba products generally have these restrictions: No waiting period between treatment and grazing nonlactating animals (see label for timing restrictions on dairy animals), and meat animals must be removed from treated areas 30 days before slaughter.

-- Gyphosate (Roundup) products: Pasture applications greater than 2 quarts, wait eight weeks after broadcast application, whereas alfalfa can be harvested 36 hours after application of 44 ounces.

-- Again the correct way to know how long to wait is to check the label. However, a general list can be found at

Q. How do I order 4-H publications from Washington State University? I don't want to download them from the Internet; I want a real book.

A. The Washington State University Franklin County Extension Office has several publications available in the office for a small fee. You can also call the Kennewick or Prosser Extension offices to see if already have have the publication you are looking for in the office. Additionally, order through WSU. Call at 509-545-3511 or email at franklinco@

-- Questions should be called in to the WSU Extension offices in Kennewick at 735-3551 or Pasco at 545-3511.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service