Check Washington moving company credentials before hiring

Tri-City HeraldMay 8, 2014 

Anyone planning to hire a moving company should do their homework, because a number of companies are falsely claiming to be licensed and insured, according to the state Utilities and Transportation Commission.

Only moving companies that the commission has permitted can legally provide moving services in-state. Customers who end up hiring companies without the state permit have little recourse if belongings are damaged, lost or stolen.

Moving companies must include their Utilities and Transportation Commission permit number when advertising, the commission said.

To check the credentials of a residential moving company, go to or call 888-333-9882. It does not regulate interstate moving companies.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service