Grandview home destroyed by fire

April 5, 2014 

— A Grandview home was destroyed after the homeowner lost control of a fire he was using to burn weeds in his front yard, according to Yakima County Fire District 5.

When firefighters arrived at 651 E. Stover Rd at about 12:13 p.m. Saturday, fire had spread from an arborvitaes next to the house into the front of the home, officials said.

The home owned by Gregory Marple was a complete loss, officials said. The value of the loss is estimated at about $440,000.

The fire was under control by about 3:24 p.m., officials said. No one was injured.

About 25 firefighters helped put out the fire. The Sunnyside Fire Department, Benton Fire District 3 from Prosser, the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office and Pacific Power & Light all assisted.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service