Former Pasco High wrestling coach charged with child molestation

Kristin M. Kraemer, Tri-City HeraldMarch 19, 2014 

Sheridan McDonald

Sheridan McDonald


The former assistant coach for girls wrestling at Pasco High School is accused of kissing and inappropriately touching a student.

Sheridan Anne McDonald, 21, allegedly had a romantic relationship with the teen girl.

Pasco police started investigating Jan. 1, after the girl's father reported the inappropriate conduct.

McDonald was charged Wednesday in Franklin County Superior Court with third-degree child molestation, a felony. She's scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

McDonald has been in custody since Friday. Bail is set at $10,000.

"Sheridan McDonald was hired by the Pasco School District as an assistant wrestling coach on Nov. 18, 2013, she was placed on administrative leave on Dec. 26, 2013, and was terminated on Jan. 14, 2014," Leslee Caul, district spokeswoman, told the Herald on Wednesday.

Caul said the district wouldn't comment further on McDonald or the case out of respect for the "legal process and all parties involved."

McDonald attended but did not graduate from Kiona-Benton City High School where she became Washington's first four-time girls wrestling state champion in 2011.

The Herald featured McDonald during her senior-year bid for the state title.

During a Monday court hearing, she gave a Pasco address as her home.

According to court documents, the case was assigned to Pasco Detective Corey Smith after the girl's father called police and said his daughter had reported the inappropriate relationship to her school counselor.

The girl met with a child forensic interviewer a month later and described a couple of kisses with McDonald that occurred on two occasions, documents said.

The student also alleged that McDonald touched her over her clothes during a car ride for a school event.

The detective was able to recover some text messages on the girl's cellphone that "were consistent with McDonald engaging in an ongoing romantic relationship," court documents said.

McDonald was interviewed by a school investigator and admitted the conduct, which led to her termination, documents said.

McDonald has been ordered to have no contact with the girl or her family and to stay more than 1,000 feet away while the case is pending.

-- Kristin M. Kraemer: 582-1531;; Twitter: @KristinMKraemer

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service