Girl who claimed to have been groped admits she made it up

March 3, 2014 

An 11-year-old girl who told police she was groped by a man admitted Monday that she made up the story, Kennewick police said.

The girl claimed she was walking Feb. 25 to Park Middle School when a man groped her and threatened to kill her family if she told anyone. The girl told two friends, and one of them told school staff.

The case may be a good opportunity for parents to discuss with their children the danger of making stories up, Sgt. Ken Lattin said in a news release.

“While these cases are not infrequent, we do our best to validate the alleged crime before we send it to media,” he said. “In this case, we did our best to validate and eventually decided to error on the side of caution and notify the public last week.”

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service