Tri-Citians make trek over mountains for Super Bowl parade

By Tyler Richardson, Tri-City HeraldFebruary 5, 2014 

Castillo Seahawks Parade

Bridget and John Castillo of Pasco, in back, took their family to Wednesday’s parade in Seattle to celebrate the Seahawks’ win. Pictured in front, from left, are the Castillo kids: Cameron, 8, Keira, 6, Bryce, 11, and Brandon, 14. “It was awesome. We had a great time. It was well worth taking the kids out of school. It was so much fun watching the players go by so close and be interactive with their fans. It was just pretty awesome,” said Bridget Castillo.


Many Tri-Citians made the early-morning drive and braved freezing temperatures Wednesday to help shut down downtown Seattle and celebrate the first Super Bowl in Seahawks history.

Many called in sick to work or pulled their kids out of school for the chance to catch some Skittles from Marshawn Lynch or get a glimpse of Russell Wilson with the Lombardi Trophy.

People who spoke to the Herald used adjectives like "crazy," "exhilarating" and "beautiful" to describe the atmosphere at the parade and festivities.

Here's a look at what some Tri-Citians said about their experiences:

-- Toni Garza, Pasco: Garza left the Tri-Cities around 4:30 a.m. and made the drive to Seattle to take in the parade with family members near 4th Avenue.

"You could hear the Seahawks chant being echoed all through the streets of Seattle," she said. "You could just see a sea of jerseys out there. It was incredible."

-- Annie Kinsey, Kennewick: Kinsey left early and made the drive to Seattle. She watched the parade and was impressed with how well-behaved everyone was.

"It was a blast. It was well worth the drive," she said. "It was a little crazy but that's to be expected. It's our first Super Bowl win. There were just thousands of people fist bumping and high fiving. The players were taking pictures of us and we were taking pictures of them."

-- Letty Curiel, Pasco: Curiel left the Tri-Cities at 4 a.m. and waited in the cold for four hours. She and her family got to see the Lombardi Trophy up close.

"It was loud," she said. "It was like game day. People were tailgating before the parade. It was totally worth it."

-- Carlos Martinez, Pasco: Martinez and his family stayed the night Tuesday in Seattle before the parade and watched the players arrive at CenturyLink Field.

"Seattle was hungry for this championship," he said. "People came out. The 12th man is just incredible . It was loud and it was really exciting when things started in there."

-- Melissa Reid, Pasco: Reid came to Seattle on Tuesday with her husband and two children. She didn't have the best view of the parade but it was worth the trip to see the players up close, she said.

"I know we could of seen it all at home on the TV," she said. "But it wouldn't of been as much fun yelling 'Go Hawks' in our living room."

-- Cathy Morgan, Richland: Morgan watched the parade with her husband and daughter, who works in downtown Seattle. Seeing the players come down in the streets made up for the crowds and cold weather, she said.

"It was so cool to see all of them," she said. "We were almost so close we could touch them."

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service