Kennewick suspect pleads innocent to hit and run with injury

Kristin M. Kraemer, Tri-City HeraldJanuary 29, 2014 

A 27-year-old man is suspected of failing to get medical treatment for a passenger after his speeding car crashed into a retaining wall in Kennewick.

George William Pleasant II of Kennewick pleaded innocent to hit and run with injury. His trial is scheduled March 17.

Kennewick police and paramedics responded at 12:55 p.m. Sept. 21 for reports of a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am that had crashed at 10th Avenue and Vancouver Street. The driver was gone by the time emergency officials got to the scene.

Front seat passenger Orlando Sherrell "appeared to be in a lot of pain and (was) holding his left knee and his stomach," court documents said. He refused medical attention by paramedics.

Sherrell said his left knee hit the center console, and the air bag hit him in the chest. Officer Stan Howard confirmed that damage inside the Pontiac was consistent with causing the victim's pain to his left knee, documents said.

Sherrell initially said he had been picked up 20 minutes prior by "Jorge," then eventually gave Pleasant's full name.

He said Pleasant "was driving like a crazy person going 70 mph on Vancouver. He said they were going too fast and he knew they would crash," court documents said.

Sherrell also claimed that Pleasant may have been drinking before getting him.

Witness reported that the Pontiac was traveling too fast when it crashed into the retaining wall at the southeast corner of 10th and Vancouver. They also told officers about seeing a person check on the passenger, then walk away fast on south Vancouver, documents said.

One woman who saw the collision was certain that Sherrell was the passenger because she saw a different man get out of the driver's side seat and run around to his passenger before fleeing.

The registered owner of the Pontiac told police that Pleasant got the car from her around 10 a.m. that same day.

The following day, Sherrell reported that he had gone to Trios Health in Kennewick to be checked out. He said he was only bruised up and did not have any broken bones.

Pleasant is in custody on $10,000 bail, in addition to four cases for failing to comply.

-- Kristin M. Kraemer: 582-1531;; Twitter: @KristinMKraemer

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service