2 people, 1 child injured in Prosser space heater fire

Tri-City HeraldJanuary 22, 2014 

PROSSER -- Three people, including a 2-year-old, were burned Wednesday when a space heater started a Prosser house fire.

The burn victims were treated at Sunnyside Community Hospital, said Doug Merritt, chief of Prosser Fire District 3. A woman drove the victims to the hospital before fire crews arrived.

The names, ages and conditions of the other two people were not released.

The 2-year-old was treated for minor burns, said Lt. Chuck Jones of the Benton County Sheriff's Office.

The heater in a bedroom started the fire in a house on the 800 block of North County Line Road, Merritt said. It appears to be accidental.

Prosser firefighters arrived about 9:45 a.m. and helped put out the fire in about five minutes, Merritt said. No one was in the house when crews arrived. Yakima Fire District 5 helped fight the fire.

Officials estimate about $15,000 in damages.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service