Cigarette reportedly sparks Richland apartment fire

Tri-City HeraldJanuary 20, 2014 

— A cigarette sparked an early-morning fire Monday inside a man’s bedroom at his Richland apartment, according to fire officials.

The fire started around 2:25 a.m. at the apartment at 1209 George Washington Way, said Capt. Brenda Rodgers.

The man reportedly woke up to flames inside his bedroom. He was able to escape and was not injured.

There was not a working smoke detector in the apartment, Rodgers said. No one else was at the apartment when the fire started.

Fire crews were able to put the fire out within five minutes of arriving, Rodgers said. There is fire damage to the man’s hallway and bedroom.

“He was pretty lucky due to the proximity of the fire and not having a working smoke detector,” Rodgers said.

No other buildings were damaged during the fire, Rodgers said. The man is staying with family members.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service