Dope cooker makes a hash of things in Walla Walla

January 7, 2014 

— A 22-year-old man caused an explosion in a residential apartment complex Monday night while he was attempting to "cook" hashish.

According to Tim Bennett, spokesman for the Walla Walla Police Department, John A. Nibler was attempting to render marijuana down into hashish using instructions he had found on YouTube.

"The process went awry, causing an explosion, which blew out the apartment window," Bennett said. "Don't believe everything you see on the Internet."

Bennett added that no one was injured in the explosion, which occurred just before 5:30 p.m. in apartment 49 in the Blue Mountain View Apartment Complex. Nibler was not in the kitchen when his experiment exploded, Bennett said.

The force of the explosion blew the bedroom window out, frame and all, leaving a nearly intact window lying in the lawn outside the ground floor apartment.

Nibler's stove and hood caught fire as well, causing about $200 damage. Bennett said Nibler was not arrested after the explosion, but the case has been forwarded to the Special Teams Unit for review of possible criminal charges.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service