Exhaust from van sickens Prosser family

Yakima Herald-Republic, Wash.January 1, 2014 

— A family of seven believed to have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while traveling in their van was sent to a local hospital Tuesday as a precautionary measure.

Three ambulances and seven firefighters responded about noon to a call that a child had passed out and was receiving CPR on the side of Interstate 82 between the Wapato and Toppenish exits. When they arrived the child was conscious and breathing, but family members reported strange smells coming from their van.

Yakima Fire District No. 5 Chief Brian Vogel said the tail pipe of the vehicle was rusted off close to the frame of the vehicle, funneling exhaust into the rear wheel well and allowing it to enter the vehicle. The family was from Prosser and consisted of two adults and five children, Vogel said.

Their names were not released.

Vogel said no one appeared to be in serious condition, but officials had them transported to Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital as a precaution.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service