Sunnyside home destroyed in fire

Tri-City HeraldDecember 14, 2013 

SUNNYSIDE -- A family dog's incessant barking is being credited by firefighters for alerting the residents of a Sunnyside home to escape a destructive blaze Saturday.

The 1112 Bagley Drive home was a total loss, estimated at $100,000, in the morning fire.

Yakima Fire District 5 crews and Sunnyside police responded at 3:13 a.m. to find smoke and flames throughout the house and coming out the side windows and the roof, according to fire Capt. Ken Robillard.

Sixteen firefighters knocked down the fire while protecting the garage and vehicles.

Once the blaze was under control about a half hour later, the firefighters went inside and "did an extensive overhaul to completely extinguish all fire and smoldering materials," Robillard said in a release.

The home did not have any working smoke detectors, but the family was alerted to the fire by their dog. They were able to get out safely.

The fire might have been caused by a candle in a back bedroom, Robillard said.

The American Red Cross reportedly is helping the family.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service