Barking dog gets Sunnyside family out of burning home

December 14, 2013 

— A family dog’s incessant barking is being credited by firefighters for alerting the residents of a Sunnyside home to escape a destructive blaze Saturday.

The 1112 Bagley Drive home was a total loss, estimated at $100,000, in the early morning fire.

Yakima Fire District 5 crews and Sunnyside police responded at 3:13 a.m. to find smoke and flames throughout the house and coming out the side windows and the roof, according to fire Capt. Ken Robillard.

A total 16 firefighters knocked down the fire while protecting the garage and vehicles.

Then, once the blaze was under control about a half hour later, the firefighters went inside and “did an extensive overhaul to completely extinguish all fire and smoldering materials,” Robillard said in a news release.

The home did not have any working smoke detectors, but the family was alerted to the fire by their dog. They were able to get out safely.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an unattended candle in a back bedroom, Robillard said.

The American Red Cross reportedly is helping the family with their immediate needs of food, clothing and shelter.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service