UPDATE: Cigarette likely cause of Kennewick fourplex fire

October 28, 2013 

No one was hurt, but two families were displaced when fire damaged part of a fourplex in Kennewick on Monday night. Crews were called around 7 p.m. after a fire was reported at 1121 N. Cleveland St., near Canal Drive and Edison Street. The fire started outside the building and crawled into part of its attic.

KAI-HUEI YAU — Tri-City Herald

A cigarette is the likely cause of a fire Monday night that left two families without a place to live.

No one was hurt in the blaze that burned two units of a Kennewick fourplex at 1121 N. Cleveland St., near Canal Drive and Edison Street.

The fire, which was reported about 7 p.m., appeared to have been started by a cigarette on a balcony of one of the upper apartments, said Kennewick fire Capt. Nathan Rabe.

The fire started outside the building and crawled into part of the attic, Acting Battalion Chief Tom Reich said.

Firefighters had the Benton Public Utility District cut power to the units, Reich said. Most of the damage came when firefighters pulled down part of the ceiling to get into the attic.

One family was helped Monday night by the Red Cross, while the other stayed with relatives. Both families planned to stay in hotel rooms provided by the Red Cross on Tuesday night, said Cody Campbell, disaster program manager for the Benton-Franklin Red Cross.

The Red Cross pays for three nights in a hotel for a family, as well as providing help with clothes, bedding and groceries, he said. The agency also can help them get medication.

Rabe estimated the damage caused by the fire at about $30,000.

“It’s repairable damage,” he said.

The two first-floor apartments in the building appear to still be livable, Rabe said.

Kennewick fire crews were helped by firefighters from Benton Fire District 1 and Richland.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service