FC Dallas rallies late for draw with KC

The Associated PressJune 23, 2013 

Andrew Jacobson and Walker Zimmerman scored in the final two minutes of regulation to lift FC Dallas into a 2-2 tie with Sporting Kansas City on Saturday night in Frisco, Texas.

Jacobson scored in the 88th minute, and Zimmerman followed with his first Major League Soccer goal in the 90th to cap the stunning comeback for Dallas (8-3-5), which remains unbeaten at home this season at 7-0-2.

“We’ve had a great run at home here this year, and it was something we stressed before the game, to keep that going,” said Zimmerman, who made just his fourth MLS appearance. “We wanted three points, but obviously we showed a lot of character by coming back from 2-0. It was really special to be part of that comeback and to get a point in that situation.”

Dallas remains atop the Western Conference, despite winning once in its past five matches (1-2-2).

After Kei Kamara’s penalty-kick goal in the 43rd minute and an own goal in the 58th, Kansas City (6-5-5) seemed to be in good shape, even after going down to 10 men following C.J. Sapong’s ejection in the 68th minute.

“I thought we were managing the game really well, and at that point, obviously, we got the red card, and they were throwing a lot of numbers forward,” Kansas City coach Peter Vermes said. “It’s disappointing from the perspective that we put a lot of work into the game, and I thought we had control of it.”

Kansas City goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen made four saves and appeared ready to earn his eighth shutout of the year.

“I think we had a good performance,” Nielsen said. “For 88 minutes, we did a very good job. The last few minutes of the game, they put a lot of pressure on us, dumping balls into the box, and anything can happen. Unfortunately, it went their way in the end.”

Dallas almost won in stoppage time, but Kenny Cooper’s 20-yard blast curled just wide of the right post.

“They get a PK, an own goal, and where a lot of teams might have folded and disappeared, I thought we kept fighting,” Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman said. “We were fortunate to pick up a red card and then our guys just went after them and really showed a lot of character. The players showed a lot of desire and determination to come back and score two late goals.”

Fire 2, Crew 1: In Columbus, Ohio, Mike Magee had the winning goal, and Joel Lindpere had two assists to help Chicago (5-7-3) rally past Columbus.

Federico Higuain scored on a penalty kick in the seventh minute for Columbus (5-6-5).

D.C. United 1, Earthquakes 0: In Washington, Chris Pontius converted a penalty kick in the 11th minute that helped D.C. United beat San Jose.

The victory was the first for D.C. United (2-11-3) since March 9 and snapped a club-record 13-game winless streak.

San Jose (4-7-6) was shut out for the third time in four games.

Toronto FC 0, Dynamo 0: Joe Bendik stopped four shots for Toronto FC, and Tally Hall made three saves for host Houston in the scoreless draw.

Houston (6-5-5) is winless in six games, while Toronto FC (2-7-6) extended its unbeaten streak to three games.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service