Yakima man charged with assault after standoff

Yakima Herald-RepublicJune 15, 2013 

— A man who was arrested after a SWAT standoff earlier this week in Yakima has been charged with second-degree assault.

If convicted, Joaquin Gilbert Cornejo, 30, of Yakima faces a minimum sentence of three to nine months in jail, plus a three-year or six-year firearm enhancement.

Police said the incident began about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday when Cornejo arrived drunk at his home in the 1600 block of South Third Avenue and threatened his wife with a shotgun.

According to court documents, his wife said he struck her in the head, then loaded a 12-gauge shotgun and pointed it at her and their 14-month-old baby, who she was holding.

The wife “advised that Cornejo instructed her to beg for her very life while he leveled the shotgun at her, telling her that he could not believe that he was actually with her and that they had a child together,” according to an arrest affidavit.

The wife said she was able to escape out a window with the baby after Cornejo went to the bathroom, sparking a standoff with police when they arrived to investigate.

After about four hours, crisis negotiators were able to persuade Cornejo to put down the shotgun and surrender. A loaded 12-gauge shotgun was recovered.

Cornejo remains in custody at the Yakima County jail in lieu of $250,000 bail.


Looking for something to do around the Tri-Cities? Looking for a way to promote your event for free? Check out the Tri-City Herald's community calendar and restaurant guide.


Report breaking news.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service