Kennewick fire officials issue caution about gas fires

TRI-CITY HERALDMay 8, 2013 

The Kennewick Fire Department wants to remind citizens about the dangers caused by gasoline fires.

The department cited a recent incident involving two unsupervised children who narrowly avoided serious injury when a plastic gas can caught fire. Officials caution people to properly store gas and keep it away from children.

The children started a gas fire in a pit and a trail of spilled gas leading back to the can caught fire, said Deputy Fire Marshal Joe Terpenning.

To minimize gas fires, Terpenning urges people to use appropriate containers to transport gas and never use it to start a recreational or controlled burned.

Gasoline fires cause between 13,000 and 15,000 emergency visits and lead to 500 deaths a year, according to the American Burn Association.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service