Finley mobile home destroyed in fire

April 23, 2013 

— A double-wide mobile home in Finley was destroyed Tuesday morning when a fire in an electrical box re-ignited, leaving a family of three without a home, according to Benton Fire District 1.

No one was hurt in the fire near Perkins Road and 2184 Private Road S.E., Capt. Devin Helland said.

Isaac Ramos told the Herald he was at work at 2:30 a.m. when he was called by his girlfriend, Celina Martinez. She had woken up to feed their 4-month-old baby and smelled smoke.

Ramos, who has lived at the house for six years, came home to find the electrical box in his closet on fire, he said. He put the fire out with an extinguisher and took his family to a house nearby.

When Ramos came back to check on the house a few hours later, it was fully engulfed in flames, he said.

As fire crews arrived around 6:24 a.m., flames were coming out all four sides of the mobile home and it took firefighters about an hour to control the blaze, Helland said.

Helland said the fire can serve as a good reminder to residents to always call the fire department whenever there is a fire.

“No matter how big or small you think the fire is, you still need to call the fire department,” he said.

The Kennewick and Pasco fire departments assisted.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service