Moses Lake man sentenced for burglary, rape

April 18, 2013 

— A Moses Lake man was sentenced to 9 years and 7 months in prison following a burglary and rape conviction.

Christopher J. Carlson, 27, was convicted of second-degree rape, first-degree burglary with sexual motivation and residential burglary with sexual motivation in March. The residential burglary conviction was dismissed because that charge merged with the first-degree burglary charge, according to Grant County Superior Court Judge Evan Sperline.

After this distinction was made, Grant County Prosecutor Angus Lee argued in favor of the high end of the sentencing range.

Lee argued that Carlson’s criminal history calls for the higher end of the sentence. Carlson has prior convictions of possessing a stolen firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm.

During his argument a woman, who was identified as the defendant’s mother, began to interrupt Lee and shout obscenities.

“Let the lies fly,” she said.

Sperline informed her that she had no right to be heard during the sentencing and there were no more outbursts.

Lee continued his argument stating that Carlson’s criminal past and alleged lack of remorse warranted the maximum 10.4 years.

“There’s a violence issue, an aggression issue and a drug issue,” Lee said.

Carlson’s defense attorney argued for the low end of the sentence, nearly eight years, because the victim reportedly showed little signs of a struggle and Carlson was reportedly extremely intoxicated at the time of the crime and stated he didn’t remember what had happened.

After both sides had been heard, Judge Sperline handed down the sentence and stated that Carlson must register as a sex offender, must stay 2,000 feet away from the victim’s residence and 1,000 feet away from the victim at all times.

According to a previous Columbia Basin Herald article, the victim asked Carlson to escort her inside because she saw someone suspicious in the parking lot.

Later that night, Carlson allegedly returned to the victim’s residence and was let in, according to reports.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service