Police roundup: Moses Lake man dies after being shot

March 4, 2013 

A 60-year-old Moses Lake man died Saturday night after being shot in his home, according to the Grant County Sheriff’s Department.

Sheriff Tom Jones said he did not believe it was a random shooting.

Deputies were called about 9:30 p.m. to a home in the 7700 block of Clink Road Northeast in Cascade Valley. They arrived to find a man who had been shot and had him taken to Samaritan Hospital, where he died soon after arriving.

Detectives spent the night searching the home and interviewing witnesses. An autopsy is scheduled for today, and the man’s name will be released after his family is notified, according to the sheriff’s office.

W. Richland man arrested after allegedly firing gun

A West Richland man was in custody Sunday evening on suspicion of firing a gun within city limits.

West Richland police received a report Sunday afternoon of suspected shots fired within a mobile home in the 6300 block of Desert View Drive, said Sgt. Thomas Grego. A neighbor called police.

Police found evidence of a gun, and no one was hurt, Grego said. The suspect’s name was not available Sunday evening.

Prosser police chief to be sworn in Tuesday

The city of Prosser will officially have a new police chief come Tuesday.

That’s when the city council is scheduled to confirm a contract with David Giles to fill the vacancy at a special meeting. For his part, Giles is expected to take the oath of office the same night.

Mayor Paul Warden selected Giles, a retired federal Drug Enforcement Administration resident agent in charge from Des Moines, Iowa, to fill the post that has been vacant since June, when Pat McCullough retired. The city council meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.

Woman shot outside movie theater dies

The 45-year-old woman shot outside a Union Gap movie theater Thursday night died Saturday at Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital.

Cynthia Kelley-Munzanreder of Yakima was pronounced dead at 5:12 p.m., Yakima County Coroner Jack Hawkins said. Kelley-Munzanreder suffered gunshot wounds to the head and abdomen as she and her husband left the Majestic Theatre about 8:20 p.m. Thursday. She was on life support until late Friday.

Hawkins said doctors would harvest her organs for donation, and his office would perform an autopsy today.

Police continue to investigate but otherwise had no updates this weekend, said Greg Cobb, Union Gap interim police chief.

Police said Friday that they did not expect Kelley-Munzanreder to live after the shooting and were treating the incident as a homicide. They said Friday that they believed the shooting was an isolated incident, but have not discussed a possible motive.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service