Parents should be aware of certain tax benefits

BY THE TRI-CITY HERALDFebruary 27, 2013 

Parents should be aware of tax benefits they shouldn't miss when filing taxes, according to the IRS.

w Children can be claimed as a dependent even if born in 2012.

w Child Tax Credit for each child under age 17 at the end of 2012.

w Child and Dependent Care Credit if you paid someone to care for a child or children under age 13 so you could work or look for work.

w Earned Income Tax Credit if you worked but earned less than $50,270 last year.

w Adoption Credit for certain expenses while adopting a child.

w American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit if you paid higher education costs for yourself or an immediate family member.

w Student loan interest may be deductible.

w Self-employed workers who paid for health insurance may be able to deduct premiums paid to cover children younger than 27.

For more information, go to or call 800-829-3676.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service