Killer in Franklin County court for assault charge

Kristin M. Kraemer, Tri-City HeraldDecember 1, 2012 

— A convicted killer who allegedly attacked a fellow inmate at Coyote Ridge Corrections Center more than 2 1/2 years ago made his first court appearance this week on the charges.

Tony Lamar Tyson, 23, pleaded innocent in Franklin County Superior Court to first-degree assault.

His trial is scheduled for Feb. 20.

Prosecutors allege that Tyson repeatedly kicked Rodney Louis Garrott while he was on the ground in the Connell prison's medium-security complex.

The motive for the March 19, 2010, assault is not known. It occurred at 10:50 a.m.

Prison officials reported that corrections staff quickly responded and got the fight under control.

Garrott, who was 46 at the time, suffered life-threatening injuries from being kicked in the head, court documents said. He also had an elbow dislocated in the attack.

Garrott was treated at Kadlec Regional Medical Center in Richland, then released days later to the infirmary at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla.

He is in prison until at least 2015 for his King County case on four counts of residential burglary.

Tyson was placed in segregation while Connell police investigated the incident.

He is serving time for a second-degree murder conviction out of King County. His expected release date at the time of the alleged assault was 2027.

Tyson was 16 when he repeatedly shot a 47-year-old man through the window of an SUV during an apparent drug deal, according to a Seattle Times story in November 2006. The victim tried to escape from a Seattle park as gunshots were fired, but later died, the Times reported.

Both men currently are in the Washington Corrections Center in Shelton, according to the Department of Correction's website.

Pasco teen sentenced to 6 months for robbery

An 18-year-old Pasco man was sentenced to six months in jail for robbing a teen of an LG cellphone.

Roberto Montano Jr. pleaded guilty to second-degree robbery for the Sept. 14 crime.

The charge was reduced from first-degree robbery as part of a plea agreement. He originally was accused of also taking two iPods and a $10 bill from three teen boys.

The boys were riding skateboards to a friend's home when they got tired and stopped on East Lewis Street. As they rested on some electrical boxes, they were approached by three men -- one who was later identified as Montano.

The men reportedly asked the boys if they were gang members and when the trio said no, the boys were told to empty their pockets, court documents said.

One boy told police that one suspect reached in the back of his waistband while saying he had a gun.

The teens said they were afraid for their safety, so they gave the suspects their property. The teens then called police.

The victims pointed out for officers a home where they saw the suspects come from, and officers later learned Montano lived there, documents said.

Montano was picked from a photo lineup as the suspect who indicated he had a gun, court documents said.

A month later, one of the victims also called police after recognizing Montano from a Facebook photo.

Montano has a previous conviction for residential burglary.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service