Court roundup: Judge sentences Pasco felon to 9 months for possessing gun

Kristin M. Kraemer, Tri-City HeraldNovember 19, 2012 

A convicted felon will serve a nine-month jail sentence for having a pistol and ammunition when police tracked him down on an arrest warrant.

Isidro Licon, 25, pleaded guilty in Franklin County Superior Court to second-degree possession of a gun.

He was wanted for two assaults within hours of each other and reportedly had been on the lam for two months when Benton County sheriff's deputies caught up with the Pasco man on April 13.

Deputies received a call that Licon was about to leave a Victoria Avenue home in a black Yukon, and followed the SUV until Licon jumped out at an apartment complex.

He hopped a couple of fences before he was caught, court documents said. During the chase, he was seen dropping a magazine with three live rounds and then a 9 mm Ruger pistol, documents said.

Once he was in custody, deputies traced Licon's path and found the magazine and gun.

Licon previously was ordered not to own a gun because his criminal record includes convictions for second- and third-degree assault, first-degree possession of a gun and attempting to elude police.

He also must pay $54 in restitution to the Benton County Sheriff's Office.

Licon still has trials scheduled in Franklin County Superior Court on allegations he shot an acquaintance in the head six hours after attacking a mother and daughter inside their apartment.

Prosecutors claim that at 4 p.m. Feb. 10, Licon went to an apartment with two other men and ended up yelling at and hitting the 33-year-old mother and her 18-year-old daughter, who were reportedly part of a rival gang.

Then at 10:11 p.m., Pasco police were called to Court Street for reports of a shooting, and found a man who said he'd been in a North Fourth Avenue convenience store when Licon initially confronted him.

Licon left the store but waited around the corner, taking two shots at the victim as he started walking down Court Street, documents said. The man got to Fifth Avenue and Court when Licon allegedly pointed the gun at him again and fired, this time hitting him in either the face or the neck. The gunshot wound was described as life-threatening.

Licon's first trial is set Dec. 12 on two counts of second-degree assault.

His Jan. 23 trial for the convenience store incident is on charges of first-degree assault, attempted first-degree murder, drive-by shooting and four counts of second-degree assault. The assaults include allegations that a deadly weapon was used.

Woman admits to helping steal from Walmart

A 30-year-old woman admitted she helped steal more than $750 worth of merchandise from the Kennewick Walmart store last December.

Maria Verdusco was sentenced to two months in jail for her guilty plea to second-degree theft. She can do the time on work crew or work release.

According to court documents, Verdusco was with another woman and man Dec. 27 when they were seen selecting a large number of shirts while looking around suspiciously. The women put items in two separate carts that held other merchandise, including numerous DVDs.

At some point, the man handed over a number of video games to the women. The trio then went into the store's shoe department where store security officers watched the women conceal the games, DVD, cosmetics and health and beauty items into two bags while the man served as a lookout, documents.

The man took a cart with groceries in it and paid for some of the items, then walked out of the store with one bag of stolen goods concealed in the bottom of the cart, court documents said.

Meanwhile, Verdusco and the other women pushed the second cart out of the store, making no attempt to pay for the items. They were stopped by loss prevention officers.

Verdusco's criminal history includes first- and second-degree theft, second-degree manslaughter, third-degree assault and taking a vehicle without permission. Some of those convictions washed out and didn't count toward her offender score because they were older crimes.

-- Kristin M. Kraemer: 582-1531; kkraemer@tricityherald.com

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service