Pasco teen sought for firing weapon

By Paula Horton, Tri-City HeraldNovember 10, 2012 

A 17-year-old Pasco boy is being sought by police for allegedly firing a gun in his front yard and threatening family members.

The teen apparently fired some shots about 11 p.m. Thursday during a family dispute outside the house on the 600 block of South Owens Street, Pasco police Capt. Jim Raymond said.

Officers who responded to the call about shots being fired discovered the incident centered around a family dispute and that the teen was hiding inside the house, he said.

When police couldn't convince the teen to leave the house, they called out the Tri-City Regional SWAT team to make a forced entry into the house. Once inside, however, officers determined the boy was not there, Raymond said.

The teen, whose name was not released, is known to police and is being sought on suspicion of felony harassment-domestic violence and being a felon in possession of a gun, said Raymond.

It is believed the teen still has the small-caliber gun.

Autopsy on Sunnyside infant inconclusive; no foul play

An autopsy Thursday was not able to determine the cause of death of a 5-month-old Sunnyside boy, but police said there is "absolutely no" foul play suspected.

Owen J. Hazzard, son of Stephen and Tanya Hazzard, died Thursday at his home in the 800 block of Upland Drive.

Sunnyside police were called to the house just before 7:30 a.m. When officers arrived, CPR was being administered on the infant and officers took over, said Sunnyside police Detective Sgt. John Chumley.

When medics arrived, they determined Owen was dead. The cause of death is pending additional tests.

Chumley said the Yakima County coroner and detectives are trying to determine if the baby's death was from natural or accidental causes.

Richland man arrested for alleged assault, threats

A 19-year-old Richland man was arrested late Thursday after allegedly forcing his way into his former girlfriend's home, then assaulting a man inside and threatening to kill her.

Kennewick police were called to the 19-year-old victim's home in the 1100 block of West 10th Avenue at 11:30 p.m.

When officers arrived, they found Mitchell Ray Atwell in the parking lot, police said. They learned he had gone to his ex-girlfriend's home and discovered she was there with another ex-boyfriend.

Atwell reportedly got mad and forced his way inside after the door was open and assaulted the 19-year-old man, police said.

He then allegedly chased his ex-girlfriend into the parking lot, yelling at her and threatening to kill her.

Atwell was booked into the Benton County jail on suspicion of residential burglary and felony harassment.

Police seek to identify man accused of stealing laptops

Kennewick police and Tri-Cities Crime Stoppers are looking for help identifying a man suspected of stealing laptops from a Kennewick store.

The man went to Walmart on Nov. 3 and 4 and took the laptops.

Images of the suspect taken from store surveillance cameras can be seen on the Crime Stoppers' website at, then clink on the "unsolved crimes" link.

Tri-Cities Crime Stoppers pays a cash reward of up to $1,000 for information that results in a felony arrest.

Anyone with information about the suspect can call 586-8477 or go to Tips can also be sent by text message by writing "Text TIP 411" plus the message to CRIMES (274637).

All calls to Crime Stoppers are confidential.

Kennewick man, 59, again accused of hitting new wife

A 59-year-old Kennewick man arrested last week for allegedly assaulting his wife the day after their wedding, was back in the Benton County jail three days later for another alleged assault.

Douglas Vern Quigley was arrested Tuesday after Kennewick police responded to a 911 hang-up call in the 1600 block of West Seventh Place.

The same officers who arrested Quigley on Nov. 1 went to the house again and discovered Quigley's 39-year-old wife had been punched in the mouth several times, authorities said.

The Quigleys were married on Halloween.

Officers said both were "highly intoxicated," similar to when Quigley reportedly grabbed his wife and pushed her down during an argument.

Quigley had been jailed around 10 p.m. Nov. 1 on suspicion of domestic violence assault and released the following day around 10 p.m. He was booked back into the Benton County jail just before 7 a.m. Tuesday after being medically cleared at Kennewick General Hospital.

Quigley is being held on suspicion of domestic violence assault and interfering with the reporting of a domestic violence incident. He remained in custody as of Friday night on $50,000 bail.

He also was order to have no contact with his new bride.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service