Officials report possible attempts to suppress votes

By The Tri-City HeraldNovember 1, 2012 

Washington elections officials encourage anyone who has a question about their ballot or their voter registration to call their county elections office before discarding their ballot for Tuesday's general election.

Anyone who believes they need a replacement ballot should verify that with their county auditor's office, which oversees elections and is the agency to issue the replacement.

Reports recently have circulated on the internet about possible attempts to disenfranchise voters in the state with misleading calls about the election.

While elections officials said it's unclear if those reports are accurate, and neither the Benton nor Franklin county auditors have heard reports of Tri-Citians getting calls, they reinforced that it's always better to call before throwing away a ballot.

Benton County voters should call 736-3085 or 786-5618. Franklin County voters should call 545-3538.

Anyone who believes they have been the victim of attempted voter suppression, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Eastern Washington has a district election officer on duty to handle complaints.

The district election officer can be reached at 509-454-4425 or 509-205-2274.

Complaints about ballot access problems, election fraud or discrimination can be made directly to the Civil Rights Division's Voting Section in Washington, D.C., at 800-253-3931 or 202-307-2767.

Ballots for the general election must be returned or postmarked by 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service