Rifle stolen during car prowl in Kennewick

By the Tri-City HeraldSeptember 29, 2012 

KENNEWICK, Wash. -- A rifle was stolen early Friday by a suspected car prowler in Kennewick.

Officers were called at 3 a.m. to the 3300 block of South Quincy Place after getting reports about a suspect going through at least six parked vehicles, said Sgt. Ken Lattin.

A witness called police when they saw the man getting out of one vehicle carrying a rifle, he said.

Items taken from the vehicles include a 7 mm Savage rifle with scope in a brown soft case, a Garmin GPS unit and a Leatherman tool.

The suspect is described as a thin man, dark hair, about 5-foot-10, wearing gray sweat pants and a dark blue hoodie with a yellow circular emblem on the front.

Officers searched the area but were not able to find the suspect.

Lattin said residents need to remember that leaving weapons of any kind in an unattended vehicle never is a good idea.

Anyone with information about the car prowler can call Tri-Cities Crime Stoppers at 586-8477 or go to www.tricitiescrimestoppers.org.

All calls are confidential.

3 Kennewick teens arrested for alleged barber shop burglary

Three Kennewick teens were arrested Friday morning and a 17-year-old boy is being sought for allegedly breaking into a Kennewick barber shop.

Around 2 a.m., officers contacted two teen boys near Sixth Avenue and Rainier Street and found one boy had a fresh cut on his leg, said Kennewick police Sgt. Ken Lattin.

The boy had a warrant for his arrest.

His leg was treated at Kennewick General Hospital, then he was booked into the juvenile detention center, Lattin said.

About 90 minutes later, officers received a burglary report from the owner of The Head Shop, 3321 W. Kennewick Ave.

Greg Hendricks reported that the glass front door had been broken and suspects got into the shop and stole an undisclosed amount of cash, Lattin said.

Officers talked to the teen they had just arrested and learned he apparently had cut his leg kicking in the glass door.

Two other teens were identified and also taken to the juvenile detention center on suspicion of burglary.

The suspects are ages 15, 16 and 17. The fourth boy is still being sought.

Warden men say they panicked after man shot, killed himself

WARDEN -- Two men said the body they loaded into a car Tuesday night near Potholes Reservoir was a suicide victim, according to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

A 21-year-old Warden man, who police have not identified, apparently died of a gunshot wound in the incident.

He was with his 24-year-old brother and a 23-year-old friend, both of Warden, according to police reports. The three were drinking alcohol and shooting a gun in rural areas near Royal City and the Potholes Reservoir, they told police.

The 21-year-old was depressed and shortly before midnight told the friend to stop the car near Potholes Reservoir, according to police reports. The brother and friend said he got out of the car, fired a random round and then shot himself, according to police reports.

The brother and friend were frightened, and they loaded the body in the car and drove to 313 S. Main St. in Warden, where family members called police, according to the police report.

The sheriff's office is continuing to investigate the shooting as a homicide until all evidence is examined.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service