FINLEY, Wash. — An early morning fire damaged a double-wide home in Benton County today.
One of the homes four adults woke up choking on smoke and was able to get everyone including a toddler out safely.
The house was equipped with smoke detectors but none were operating: One wasnt working, one was missing a battery and one was missing from its place.
Benton Fire District 1 firefighters responded to the fire at 3:21 a.m. at 203905 E. Perkins Road to find a fire at the back of home.
The damage was limited to the attic, floor and kitchen areas. The cause is under investigation but Deputy Chief Mike Harris said it wasn't suspicious.
Property owner Jeff Curtis said he suspects an electrical box at the back of the home sparked the fire as it was causing problems. He had plans to repair it.
However, the district later ruled the fire as accidental and determined it was from cigarettes being discarded in a plastic flower pot.