Man sentenced for threatening police officer after traffic stop

By Paula Horton, Herald staff writer March 14, 2012 

A 38-year-old who threatened a Pasco police officer after being arrested for DUI was told he needed to change his ways or risk getting lengthy prison sentences.

Joseph George Snider pleaded guilty earlier this year to intimidating a public servant and was sentenced Tuesday in Franklin County Superior Court to just over three years in prison.

"Mr. Snider, I hope this is your last time with the police," Judge Craig Matheson said. "I don't think you want to spend the rest of your life in prison, which happens when you get nine felonies -- the judge can throw the book at you."

Snider was arrested Nov. 22 by Pasco police Officer Chad Pettijohn, who saw him driving 50 mph in a 25 mph zone, court documents said.

When Pettijohn stopped Snider, he said, he noticed Snider had bloodshot, watery eyes and he could smell alcohol on his breath, documents said.

Snider, who admitted he had been drinking, was taken to the Franklin County jail and repeatedly threatened Pettijohn while a warrant was being obtained to get a blood sample.

Snider made several threats to kill the officer, said he liked to carry weapons and that Pettijohn had made an enemy who would never forget him, documents said.

"He said, 'I will do everything in my power, everything, to make sure everyone I know ... will know you're my enemy to make sure you are done for. I'll make sure you are done for,' " Pettijohn wrote in court documents.

He said Snider said he was "done for like the candy on Pac Man."

Pettijohn also Snider made it obvious that he should be sorry for arresting him, and the officer said he felt like Snider would try to kill him in retaliation, documents said.

"He told me that he might be in the next car that I pull over and then I would know that gang members needed to be taken seriously," the officer wrote.

Snider also told Pettijohn that he would not make it to the trial because Snider would make sure he was done for, and that it didn't matter if he got out of jail, he could take care of Pettijohn with a phone call, documents said.

Snider pleaded guilty Jan. 17, but had filed a motion to withdraw his guilty plea. On Tuesday, he decided to withdraw his motion and be sentenced.

Defense attorney Karla Kane said her client was going through a personal issue at the time and "made a bad decision that kind of took a turn for the worse as the night went on."

Snider, who has prior convictions for custodial assault, attempted robbery, robbery, escape, burglary and unlawful possession of a gun, could have been sentenced to up to three years and seven months in prison.

Matheson agreed to follow the recommendation of three years and three months, but warned Snider that if he gets nine or more felonies, judges won't have to follow the standard sentencing ranges. Snider's offender score is seven.

"I hope you're able to stay out of trouble when you get back out," the judge said.

Tri-City Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service